Katherine Visitor Information
Visit Katherine in Northern Territory, Australia
Welcome to Katherine, a small town located in the Northern Territory of Australia, about 320 kilometers south-east of Darwin. With its stunning natural beauty, rich Aboriginal culture, and a range of outdoor activities, Katherine has plenty to offer for visitors of all interests and ages.
Things to Do in Katherine
- Visit Katherine Gorge: This natural wonder is a series of 13 deep sandstone gorges, carved by the Katherine River. You can explore on a guided boat tour or hike the trails surrounding the gorge.
- Discover Nitmiluk National Park: This park is home to Katherine Gorge and offers hiking, camping, fishing, and birdwatching opportunities.
- Experience Aboriginal Culture: The Jawoyn people have lived in the Katherine area for thousands of years. Visit the Top Didj Cultural Experience for a guided tour of Aboriginal rock art, bush tucker, and traditional painting and didgeridoo-making demonstrations.
- Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride: See the stunning landscapes of the Katherine region from a bird's eye view on a hot air balloon ride.
- Relax in the Hot Springs: The Katherine Hot Springs are natural hot springs that have been developed into a beautiful public pool area.
Where to Eat
There are plenty of dining options in Katherine, ranging from casual cafes to fine dining restaurants. Here are some of the top picks:
- The Finch Cafe: Offering breakfast and lunch options, including vegetarian and gluten-free choices.
- Pop Rocket Cafe: A popular spot for coffee and breakfast, with outdoor seating and live music events.
- Tin Shed Restaurant: A fine dining experience featuring local ingredients and an extensive wine list.
Where to Stay
Katherine has a range of accommodation options to suit all budgets and preferences, from hostels and campsites to luxury eco-lodges. Here are some suggestions:
- Nitmiluk Chalets: These rustic chalets are located in the heart of Nitmiluk National Park, offering stunning views and easy access to the gorge.
- Katherine River Lodge: This budget-friendly option offers clean and comfortable rooms with a communal kitchen and outdoor pool area.
- Bamurru Plains: For a luxury eco-lodge experience, consider staying at Bamurru Plains. Located on a working buffalo station, this lodge offers guided wildlife safaris, gourmet dining, and luxurious tents overlooking the flood plains.
So plan your trip to Katherine now and experience the natural beauty, cultural richness, and outdoor adventures that this part of Australia has to offer!